With the baseball release year quickly winding down, I have been thinking a lot about the ‘End of the Year’ awards and what product will win “Best of 2009”. The two-time defending champion, Upper Deck, appears to be the underdog this year.
Having won the award with 2007 SPx and 2008 Masterpieces, Upper Deck is facing some extremely tough competition thanks to a brilliant flagship design by Topps Company and many hit products (not counting Ticket To Stardom).
Below are three early candidates by each company that could win the award. Some products that came close to making the list but didn’t quite have enough steam were Topps’ Heritage and Triple Threads and Upper Deck’s UDx release.
We are still waiting for Upper Deck Ultimate Collection and Topps Sterling and Tribute but unless the products go live by the first week of December, they will not be considered for the award.
Below is the list and some of the highlights:
1. Allen & Ginter – Great design, on-card autographs, wood parallels, rip cards, and rare Dick Perez sketch cards
2.Topps Finest – Great futuristic design, amazing looking parallels, highly sought-after Superfractors
3. Topps Chrome – Leading favorite to win product of the year thanks to a great design, on-card autographs, excellent Refractors, and extremely popular Superfractors
1. Goodwin Champions – Better artwork than Masterpieces, excellent design on relics, on-card autographs, unique case hits
2. SP Authentic – Great base design & inserts, popular rookie autographs, and Letter Autographs still perform strong on secondary market
3. Sweet Spot – Strong base design and crisp photography, amazing Sweet Spot autographs, and many huge hits being pulled by collectors in first two weeks of release
Tristar Obak – Most fun card backs of 2009, good checklist, popular parallels